• For testing only, data may change, data here will be wiped out. Live conversations should happen in main site at https://fordsix.com

Father/Son Maverick Project in Ohio

Hi all,

A couple of months ago my wife and I bought a 73 Maverick (250ci) for our son as his first car. Before we bought the car, he would have preferred an early Camaro or Mustang, but we don't have a budget for those (especially to hand over to a new driver). The Maverick has really grown on him though, mostly because he can call it his own (and if you stand far enough away and squint, it kinda looks like a Camaro or fast-back Mustang). I wanted a car that we could work on together as a father/son project. We're not trying to build a show car or anything. It's meant to be a daily driver, but we still want to trick it out (within budget). Mainly, I want to teach my son about self-reliance and working through problems. Our first major project was to do a front disc brake conversion, which we've completed (we wound up replacing the front suspension as well). Our smaller projects so far have been to change the oil, swap out the door and trunk locks and ignition key, and we're working on replacing the door panels. Future projects wil be to tuck the bumpers, add a spoiler, swap the steering wheel and do something to the engine (not sure what yet). So, I've joined this forum as a resource to find out about what we might be able to do to "hot rod" the 250 engine. I realize it might be simpler to swap in a 302 if we want to increase performance, but I have a soft spot for inline sixes (I have a 62 Studebaker station wagon with a straight six) and I kinda like dong things a little different than everybody else.

bubba22349

Staff member
Welcome to the Ford Six forums Chuth68, the Maverick looks great and being able to work on it with your son is going to be rewarding for both of you. Good luck on the build :thumbup: :nod:

powerband

VIP Member
Staff member
I bought a 73 Maverick (250ci) for our son as his first car (living vicariously?)

Welcome, I admit I'm biased but that is one fine Maverick. The 250 is the 'stroked' and largest CID version of the venerable small block six. Already no slouch with available torquey grunt force when properly tuned, the 250 with some simple upgrades can add a performance edge or more ambitious power depending on how you want to use your car and available resources.

I realize it might be simpler to swap in a 302 if we want to increase performance --- I kinda like dong things a little different than everybody else.

I run a Maverick 250 in an early Comet with major performance mods but my current project is an original 74 Maverick 250 with three on the column manual. . The original 250 lost its pistons with over-ambitious turbo- boost levels but the current 250 with a Vortech supercharger is very drivable with similar suspension and brake upgrades. Currently installing a T5 overdrive tranny to improve gearing/RPM for the SC ...

have fun